Monday, September 25, 2017

I'm often asked. . .


This was written in November of 2010 (Just found that I didn't publish it then... might as well now)

I am often asked several questions about what I am doing to make the changes in my body.  Sometimes when I begin to tell people about the changes I have made in my life and lifestyle I see their eyes glaze over.  I have learned that they really don't want to hear the same things they have known their whole lives; that it's difficult, it's life changing, and that it will take every ounce of energy, mentally, physically, and spiritually that they can muster.  But for those of you who do actually want to know the steps I have taken I will post here some questions I have been asked the answers I can give as best I can.

Do you do a specific weight loss program like weight watchers or something? 

I did do Weight Watchers for a while a couple of years ago, and I would say it was an okay start but not enough for me.  I worked with a trainer who did a "biggest loser" competition.  I picked her brain for weeks about food.  She gave me a two week menu to follow based on "eating clean."  There is a book by Tosca Reno called "The Eat Clean Diet."  I read that and followed the recommendations of Lisa, the trainer.   Lisa also has a book which has the two week menu in it.  She tells me that she sells it for $20 at her website trainwithlisa.com

There is also a magazine about eating clean, but I have yet to pick it up.  I also read a book called "The Culprit and the Cure."  It was pretty scientifically oriented, which worked for me.  I had to come to a place where I could admit that I was ADDICTED to food and become willing to eat only clean, natural foods. 
Where do you get you food info and recipes?
Food and recipes:  I started with my two week menu from Lisa and then just went from there.  It's hard to find good recipes online until you know what really healthy eating is.  Once you get the idea of what real food is and how to use real food you can find more recipes and tweak recipes to work for you.  If you look for healthy recipes you will often find things like casseroles with "healthy" cream of whatever kind of soup.  The processed, canned and fatty soups, even lower fat soups have so much sodium and half of the ingredients would be difficult to pronounce. 
When you look at a food you want it to be simple.  For example, the most healthy bread is not the one with the fewest calories necessarily, but the one who's ingredient list is most basic.  The best meats are the ones which are leaner and which you will have to cook for yourself.  I use some sausages, on occasion, from costco and I always look for "minimally processed."  Deli meats, I don't use them. 
I'm sure you've heard about taking out the whites.  I don't eat white flour, white sugar, few potatoes, etc.  You will find that there is deceptiveness in advertising, ie.  wheat flour as the first ingredient on a bread is actually white flour.  You want most of your wheat ingredients to be "whole wheat flour."  I found a lot of this information in the above mentioned books.  I'll be honest that when I go to parties I'm kind of a pest and I"m that weird girl who doesn't eat anything :)  But hey it's working. 
Do you have a support group? Did you just gather friends to help with support or what do you do for the support?

I beg, borrow, plead and steal support!  :)  I have actually noticed that support comes as I make changes.  In the beginning I had to go out and just do, but as I "did" I found a lot of support.  I found people at the gym, people in my neighborhood and people at church.  I have had to make myself vulnerable to get that support and admit that I struggle.  In some ways support is easy to come by and in some ways it's tough to get support, but probably most difficult is to accept support in whatever form it may come.  I have found comments about my appearance changes to be very encouraging and at the same time difficult.  That's hard for me to explain but there is something strange that goes on in my psyche when somebody comments about me being "skinny" or how good I look.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it, but I have issues; don't we all!?

Do you work out at a gym or at home?

I started out exclusively at home.  Then I started going to the local rec center.  Now that it's summertime I do some at the rec, some at home and some outside.   The weather calls me outdoors much more often now but I have also struggled to keep myself going as strongly on my own and setting times for myself at home.  I am one who is pushed by a teacher and people around me at the gym.  That helps me get a much better workout.  It took me a while to get past the embarrassment but now that I recognize people I really enjoy the support of working out with people who I appreciate but who's names I don't know. 
How do you decide what your work outs need to be?
This can be difficult.  I took some classes at the gym and found some instructors I trusted and then let them push me.  Believe me those ladies get a thrill out of seeing you sweat and turn red and act like you're going to die.  I often tell them I hate them in the middle of the class and that I love them in the end!  I took a weight lifting class at our rec center called "Women on Weights."  It helped me to really get to point where I knew how hard to push myself.  I have learned that I have to push myself past the point of comfort in the moment to see lasting results from each workout.  I'm not talking about pain, or injury, I'm talking about allowing it to be difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment