Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Let's Get Real. . .

I have had a hard time putting a blog post together this week. . .hence the reason that I am late getting to it.  I have wanted to keep things positive and frankly this week has not been the most positive.   I am half way to my goal and kind of stuck here.  The scale hasn't moved this week but I have to remind myself of all of the great milestones I have had this past week. 

At the beginning of the week I decided to try on the cute little yellow jacket I was wearing when I first met my hubby.  I thought it would still be a little too small still but low and behold it was a little on the big side!

Lisa sent me my before and after pictures from January to April.  I knew I had made some great progress but I did not even realize the amount of progress I had actually made- wow people aren't making it up when they tell me they can really see a difference in me. 

I did a long run this last Saturday down Provo canyon.  For the first time I did FIVE miles!  My sister was amazed that I ran that far and asked me if I was equally amazed with myself.  I really wasn't that impressed with myself until I thought about it.  I have never in my life run five miles.  No it's not a 10k. . .YET.  And, no it's not a half marathon but it is still FIVE miles.  I am embracing  this as a wonderful milestone for myself. 

So. . .sometimes the scale doesn't move. . .but I am coming off of several weeks of tremendous weight-loss and now it's okay that the milestones I am seeing are not on the scale but in other areas. 

Don't get me wrong. . .the scale refusing to budge ticks me off!  BUT that is not the only milestone for me to celebrate.  Thanks to all of you for supporting me and sharing your journeys with me. 

What milestones do you all look for when the scale gets stuck? 
 
(I will respond to comments with a comment)

9 comments:

  1. 5 miles! That is awesome. I couldn't run 5 miles right now. I'm trying to get back into running and you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My milestones...I like to notice how much better I fit in the same old places like the couch and chairs. There's a lot more room! Another one I enjoy every time I do it is crossing my legs - no longer must I use my hands to hold them there or position myself behind a chair or pew to make sure they stay...they can do that all by themselves and comfortably, how cool is that!? We have to find the small 'mile markers' along our bigger journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Julie I think of you often when I run :) I think if Julie could do this when she was quite pregnant then I should be able to get there too! I guess we inspire our friends at different times don't we? Thank goodness for good friends!

    @Teddi I love being able to cross my legs too- how silly the things we notice but they are important for us and help us to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why don't you post your pictures from Lisa on here??? :-)

    I know you keep looking skinnier and skinnier, but it would be fun to see the pictures of the old Teresa and compare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Abby I have to tell you the number one reason I haven't posted the pictures on here is because I'm completely intimidated by the embarrassment I might feel and really wish I could take them back. I will continue thinking about it and maybe surprise you all one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you should post the pics Teresa - It tells the story and shows the progress!! You are doing so great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teresa,
    This is Emily. Congratulations on your 5 mile run! That is awesome! I finally did 2 miles. Thanks for your advice to not give and that it would get better. I saw a picture of you on FB at the Susan G Komen race and you are looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teresa,
    When I first became hypothyroid I gained 30 pounds. I lost it, but became discouraged when the scale stopped going down. So I bought a scale that measures body fat as well. Since muscle weighs more than fat, an increase in your muscle mass will make the scale stick. That way even if my weight was the same I could still document improvement because my fat percentage was going down. (one warning: it shoots back up if you're dehydrated. It's not perfect but still gives you an idea.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so grateful for all of the support! Thanks everybody

    ReplyDelete